Thursday, April 17, 2008

Unseen, But Not Unnoticed

I shop fairly often at a discount grocery store called Aldi. It's a quirky store--you have to pay a quarter to get a cart released from the cart corral. When you return it, you get your quarter back. This whole system is set up to ensure that people return their carts*, thus eliminating the need to have employees round up strays. You wouldn't think a quarter would make that much of a difference, but it does. Everyone returns their carts.

Merchandise is displayed on pallets, many times in the same box it was shipped in. Everything there is super-cheap, especially the snack-type items that teenagers devour in mass quantities. A good portion of their offerings are off-brands, but having tried them, we'd swear they're identical to the name brands. They sell "Homestyle" cookies for instance, that taste identical to Matt's cookies. The packaging looks similar, too.

I've bought their dish detergent many times, and it's comparable to the name brands. It wasn't until recently that I noticed the words on the front of the label.


Yes, Reeva "Eliminates Unseen Food Residue." So here are a few questions: if it's unseen, how do I know it was there in the first place, and how can I be sure Reeva really gets rid of it? Do other brands eliminate unseen food residue, or do they figure if you can't see it why bother? And does "unseen" mean the same thing as "microscopic"? If so, is it really food residue if we're talking about particles that small? Aren't they molecules or something? And how many hypothetical questions can a person have in a blog before no one cares anymore?

Anyway, I was just wondering. My brain churns with these kind of things, and I can't shut it off. So I thought I'd share it with you.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Did you know that in Alabama, they call shopping carts "buggies"? I was so confused the first time I heard this.

4 comments:

Perfumes said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Perfume, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://perfumes-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Sid Leavitt said...

Here's a hypothetical answer: I wouldn't worry about unseen food residue as long as it was unsmelled as well.

Hey, we've got an Aldi's here, too. People love it.

Keetha said...

In Mississippi, we call them buggies, too. It's just one of those things.

Karen McQ. said...

Aldi's and buggies are more widespread than I thought. Live and learn. :-)