Monday, September 27, 2010

Kindle for the Web!

Even while I sleep, the Amazon elves are working to come up with cool new options for authors and readers. Today I was lucky enough to be allowed to test drive "Kindle for the Web," the newest addition to the free Kindle apps family.

I embedded the code for my novel, A Scattered Life, right into my blog, the same way I'd embed a Youtube video. It took less than a minute, and now the first few chapters of my novel can be read right here. Anyone interested in purchasing the book can click on "Get Kindle Edition," to go straight to the book's Amazon page.








If you want to play around with the way the text looks on the page, click on the "Aa," and check out all the options. When you increase the font size to its maximum, you can see where the Kindle is a gift to those who are visually impaired. I was on the message boards on Amazon once, and a woman posted that she'd given up her lifelong love of reading when even large print books became too difficult to see. Reading on the Kindle was like a miracle to her.

I predict that Kindle for the Web is going to be very popular on author sites. It's a great way to promote books,and it might sell a few Kindles too. :)


For those who are interested, more information about Kindle for the Web is available at http://www.amazon.com/kindlefortheweb.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing! What will they think up next?

Pale Rambler said...

Cool! I've been playing around -- not very seriously -- with embedding video and audio into my Ramblings blog but haven't quite figured it out yet. Maybe someday...

Kippoe said...

very cool I have to add it to my blog

Karen McQuestion said...

Anon, my thoughts exactly!

Hi Kippoe, thanks for stopping by. :-)

Mark, if you do a search for "how to embed a Youtube video" you'll come across sites that give directions. Kindle for the Web uses the same procedure, so it was an easy transition for me.

Donna said...

Completely off topic but I just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading your books. They are wonderful and your story behind them is terrific. Keep up the great work and more blessings will follow.

Karen McQuestion said...

Donna, it's okay to go off topic if you're going to] leave a wonderful comment like that one.
:-)

Thanks so much!

Helen Hanson said...

Nice work! Even the press release I saw had your novel displayed for the illustration.

I'm enjoying A Scattered Life, too.

All the best!

Arkansas Patti said...

Thank you for stopping by TNS. What a treat to see your photo added to my followers. "A Scattered Life" was one of the first books I read on my Kindle. Loved it and am so happy it will be made into a movie.
"Easily Amused" is on my TBR list.

Karen McQuestion said...

Helen Hanson, I'm so glad you're enjoying my book! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Patti, your blog is one of my favorites. I'm honored that you loved A Scattered Life. Fingers crossed you like Easily Amused. :)

PV Lundqvist said...

Last night, looking at books on the kindle store, I noticed something: you have two books in the top twenty!

That's awesome.

Karen McQuestion said...

PV Lundqvist--I've been following that too, and it's unbelievable to me. I keep thinking the sales rankings are flukey and that both books will drop off the charts completely at some point, but so far they're holding steady. Crazy.